Thursday, August 28, 2008

Squash Casserole

From my "Lancaster County Amish Cookbook"

2 lbs. zucchini or yellow squash (I think I cut up 4)
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
1 c. fat-free sour cream
1 c. shredded carrots
2-6oz pkgs. stuffing mix
1/2 c. melted butter
(You could easily add browned or cooked chicken if you wanted some meat.)

In a saucepan, add a bit of water and cook squash and onion for 5 minutes. (My saucepan was very full.) Drain. In a large bowl, mix soup and sour cream. Stir in carrots. Fold in squash and onions. Combine stuffing mix and butter. (It will be pretty dry.) Put layer of stuffing mix in large casserole dish or 9x13 pan. Add squash mixture and put the rest of the stuffing mix on top. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

I made this a few night ago. It didn't look great coming out of the oven, but it tasted wonderful. Leftovers have been good, too. --Keri

No comments: