Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hamburger Soup

1 1/2 lb hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
28 oz can tomatoes
3 cans consomme (I use beef drippings or beef broth mix)
4 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups water
1 can tomato soup
1 bay leaf
1/2 Tsp thyme
Salt and Pepper, to taste
8 Tbsp pearl barley

Brown hamburger and onion together; drain well. Mix rest of ingredients together in large pot. Add browned meat and bring to boil. Then simmer, covered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You can put in crockpot and cook on high for about 4-5 hours. I sometimes add potatoes or a can of kidney beans right at the last. Serve with hot rolls.

I love this recipe. It is from my Grandma, and everytime I make it, it makes me think of her and my mom. I do it in the crockpot, making it about noon, and then having it for dinner. It is good in the refridgerator for a couple of days for left overs.

No comments: